Relationships can be extremely rewarding and a source of joy. However, relationships are also challenging and take a lot of work. You and your boyfriend may really care about one another, but your relationship may not be where you want it to be. Learn how to better your relationship with your boyfriend so you can keep the relationship strong and fulfilling.
1. Spend time doing enjoyable things together.
One way to better your relationship with your boyfriend is to do things together that you both enjoy. Finding joy in the time you spend together can help the two of you build a stronger friendship and a deeper bond. If you like each other more, your relationship will be better.
- For example, you can play card games, go for hikes, try new activities, or volunteer together.
- The idea is to do something you both enjoy. Discuss things you like to do, then find a few you have in common.
- Try to avoid doing the same things you always do. If you aren’t happy with where your relationship is now, doing the same thing over and over isn’t going to help it improve.
- Ask your boyfriend, “What do you like to do when we’re not together? These are the things I like to do.” You may say, “I saw there’s a new musical in town. I’ve always wanted to see one. Would you like to go with me?”
- For example, you can thank him for paying for dinner, for taking out the trash, or for holding the door open for you. Say, “I really appreciate how you took the trash out last night” or “Thank you for the coffee you brought me. It made my morning.”
- Tell him how good you think he looks, how you like the beard he’s grown out, or that you like his new cologne. Tell him, “That shirt looks so great on you” or “I love that new haircut. It makes you look handsome.”
- Dress nice for him. Wear his favorite shirt, the underwear he likes you in, or the fragrance he likes the smell of.
- For example, you can touch him more when you talk, hold his hand, or rest your head on his shoulder.
- Be present when you kiss him instead of a quick distracted peck.
- Spend time holding each other and cuddling when you watch television.
- For example, bring him his favorite flavor of coffee when you get together in the morning or have his coffee waiting when he wakes up. Buy his favorite snack food at the grocery store, or pick it up before you go to the movies.
- If your partner always loses his pens at work, buy him a pack to keep in his car. Keep an extra pair of sunglasses in your car for him if he always forgets his.
5. Be playful.One way to make your relationship better is to keep it light. Being playful with one another is a way to deepen your connection and communicate. You don’t just have to be serious with one another to improve the relationship. Joking with each other, acting silly, and engaging in lighthearted activities that make you both laugh can make you feel closer to one another.
- Lightly tease each other about things, bring up inside jokes, and smile or laugh when the other one says something funny.
- Remember that any teasing or joking should be fun and playful, not mean-spirited.
6. Tell your boyfriend what you feel.After you’ve been with someone for a long time, you just assume they know things. You may think your boyfriend knows what you think, what you feel, and how you feel about him. He is not a mind reader, just as you are not a mind reader. Let your boyfriend know what you want so you can be on the same page.
- Tell your boyfriend that you care about him, like being around him, or love him. Tell him you like it when he holds your hand or appreciates it when he takes you around his friends.
- Let him know that you are having a bad day, or that you had a great day at work. Communicate to him that you want to try a new restaurant or do something different this weekend.
- For example, you may say, “I really appreciate it when you hold my hand in public,” “I’d like to try Indian food tonight, and I’d love for you to come with me,” or “We should try something new this weekend. I was thinking about going for a hike somewhere we haven’t been. What do you think?”
- During a bad day, say, “I had a bad day at work and I’m grumpy” or “I’m sorry I snapped, but I had a really bad day.”